Ode to Nila

The loneliness is pricking me as I sit
On the single seat in the second class
Of the passenger train
The buzzing sounds do not break my solitude
And here I’m alone in this crowd
The train whistled
Neither the whistling nor the buzzing quenched
My alienation
The train covered unknown cities and villages
And it goes to my homeland
A journey from unknown to known!
Mind is darting
At last crossed Palakkad and still running
A river can be seen soon after
The train has left the station
Which is none other than the
Nostalgic river Nila
The Nile of Kerala!
At last I have found solace from this solitude
Nila, You will always be there in my
Good old memories
You like the train travelers
Traveling to your destination
Now I can see the silence,sluggishness and
Lack of life
Once You were the embodiment of
Life and invigoration
Joy and mirth
Full of water and sands
All faded away in the sands of time
And became a mere vein of water
Still You survive as a monument of
Human inhumanness
Nevertheless You inspire me
Many poets wrote eulogies for You
You became the backdrop for many great literary works
You always appeal to me
The train outdistances Parli and Mankara
I can see you flowing slowly
Sometimes in a zigzag manner
Yet You always overtake us
My train is nearing Lakkidi station
And both You and we are traveling parallel to
Each other
Fumes are rising from the other side of You-
The shore that bestow salvation to those
Who complete the cycle of life- Ivormatom
You may have witnessed the salvation of
Many souls by now
And may have Sung dirge.
The train leaves Lakkidi
Sometimes You take diversions
And finally meet again as though
Playing hide and seek with the travelers.
The train moves slowly, reaching Ottapalam
A lot of people can be seen in the meadow of sand
Enjoying the evening sunshine
And the train stops, I have to detrain here….
But I won’t
I want to travel with you till
You take diversion
And I remain in the train
Just for satisfying my eccentric disposition.
The train leaves the station by whistling and
It covered Shoranur, Pattambi and Kuttipuram
Thickets are seen outgrown and
You are losing your pristine glory
Casuarinas and bushes occupy your place and,
Machines are seen digging Your sands
All these made me remember
The farsighted poet’s lines:
“O perar, our beloved mother
Will you turn into a vexed drain?”
Pathetic but true
You shrank
Dehydrated in the test of summer
Leastwise we have the reminiscences of
Your past glory
What will last for the next generation?
Now the train is about to reach Thirunaavaaya and
Here the rail and river bid farewell to each other
And pursue their own courses
The train stops, now I must leave the train
It's only for You that I have traveled
These distances
Now I have to return….

Adieu Nila, adieu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel Who Fell In Love With A Demon

ഇറവെള്ളം

അന്യോന്യം